The New York Times Company | NELLIE BOWLES | 4/24/20 | 11 min
    8.8
    The New York Times Company
    8.8
    • jbuchana
      1 month ago

I think that it's very easy to take this too far. We always keep a month or two of food ready and we have an emergency generator with a couple days of fuel, but I'm not about to try and prepare for the total and permanent collapse of civilisation. But we are ready for tornados, blizzard, and earthquakes etc.

1 month ago

Yup. Unless you’re rich, there’s really no way to prepare for the “total and permanent collapse of civilization.” And even if you’re a billionaire, it’s a weird exercise that probably has more to do with confronting your wealth than staying alive in that kind of disaster.

Smart to have some extra food and power. Never hurts. ✌️

• sjwoo
      Scribe
      1 month ago

For some reason I thought this article would be about preppies...! For a good minute or so, I was wondering why there weren't any photos of people in Polo shirts with their collars popped.

If the world requires survivalists for survival, then no thanks, I'll just head for the exit. Life is hard enough as it is.

1 month ago

Lol, but I bet the Venn diagram between preppies and preppers has some significant overlap.

• Florian
      Reading streakScribe
      1 month ago

It could be that if you spend all day thinking of ways to break a system, you realize how easily everything can be broken.

That’s an interesting thought

• Plum1 month ago

Yes, it is an interesting thoughtThanks for pointing it out. Helps me to understand the syndrome!

• Plum1 month ago

Still don’t buy it. Terrible way to live- preparing for the apocalypse.

1 month ago

It's the mental prepping that matters. :P