- AOTD on 3/10/20 - Scout: AlexaThe New Yorker | Rivka Galchen | 3/2/20 | 28 min6 reads10 comments10The New YorkerRivka Galchen|3/2/20|28 min6 reads10crystalhanakim2 months ago
Really enjoyed this article. I stayed with family in Korea over the summer, and for the first time, I paid attention to how they got rid of waste. Having to get rid of food waste separately definitely made me more aware and mindful of what I was throwing away. This is motivating me to look into composting in my neighborhood!
- -0 pts - Scout: crystalhanakimLithub | Janet Burroway | 6/3/19 | 9 min2 reads2 comments7.0LithubJanet Burroway|6/3/19|9 min2 reads7.0
This is mostly about the necessity of creative writing majors in college, which I agree with. I loved this line: "A university has two distinct purposes. One is to get its students ready for life in the “real” world. The other is to keep, in a cool dry place, the knowledge and wisdom that the real world isn’t buying at the moment."
- AOTD on 6/12/19 - Scout: Pegeen
I liked the writer’s advice about creating an optimum physical environment. A lot of helpful tips here that I’ll incorporate into my next writing session!
- AOTD on 12/25/18 - Scout: erica
- AOTD on 1/8/18 - Scout: sjwoocrystalhanakim2 years ago
Thank you for sharing this essay! I really enjoyed the honesty with which you examine your past biases, your family's reservations against the Japanese, and how the DNA testing changed your perspective of yourself and your past experiences. I'm Korean as well, and I grew up listening to my grandmother's stories of Japanese occupation. There's bad blood there, and that can easily lead to stereotypes, hatred, racism. It's so easy to gloss over the uglier parts of ourselves & families, so it was refreshing to read such an honest piece. I'm also now intrigued by the thought of doing a DNA test on myself. Maybe I'll buy one of the kits & see if there are any surprises in my own DNA!
- AOTD on 1/12/18 - Scout: crystalhanakimcrystalhanakim2 years ago
Hi real readers, this is Crystal. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on my story! I'm happy to answer any questions as well. Enjoy!